Dr. John H. Linton
In 1946, when Penn Township, an eastern suburb, was still mostly rural in nature, Dr. John H. Linton was appointed superintendent of Penn Hills Schools. Dr. Linton's previous position was as superintendent of the Titusville Area School District. There were 137 teachers working in the district at the time of his appointment, and an estimated 3,500 students. As a result of the postwar housing boom, the district would grow to be the second largest in Allegheny County and the eighth largest in the state. Dr. Linton managed a 20-year construction program that cost over $24 million, and included the construction of new elementary schools, a junior high school, and the former senior high school. Before leaving in 1969, he oversaw the construction of the John H. Linton Intermediate High School, which cost $9 million and educated students in grades 9 and 10. The new facility accommodated 2600 students when it first opened in September of 1969. Today the John H. Linton Middle School is home to our 6th, 7th and 8th grade students. Dr. Linton passed away in 1971.